Saturday, August 10, 2013

Routeburn Classic - April 2013



The Routeburn is one of my absolute favourite races.  I haven’t done all of the great New Zealand tracks, but this one is just wonderful and the race itself is superb.  

I did this race in 2012 on a picture perfect day.  (In fact the photos in here are from 2012; I didn’t have time to take photos this year!).

It’s held in April, which is early autumn and the weather can be dicey.  It had been raining a lot leading up to the race and the cloud was low.  Once you get into it, you don’t care and it cleared up anyway as I was going across the tops, so you could still enjoy the great views.

My training had been going well leading up to the race, except for my last run when I had pushed it too hard and took a little muscle tear in my left calf.  Iced it, raised it, did all the right things and it seemed OK as I fronted at the start line at the Divide.  

The first part of the race is awkward, as the field is compressed and you are on single track up the hill to Earland Falls.  It’s difficult to pass people, and I’m sure it was to pass me as well.   You really had to just chill out and enjoy the day.

The track was slippery and technical.  There were stretches that had become streams, so I splashed along trying not to fall flat on my face.  I had the unique experience (for me) of running through a waterfall, as the falls were full and I got soaked and invigorated passing through the water.

I really wanted to do a much better time than last year and I decided I could pick up time on the uphills, but that little calf tear just started to get more and more uncomfortable.  As things wore on, I felt every step on my left leg as a jab of pain.  But it’s funny how it almost becomes meditative, as you adapt to the discomfort.

The highlight of this race is the stretch along the tops, with the view of the braided river through the Hollyford Valley and the Darren Mountains beyond.  You see this area in lots of New Zealand shots, including the Air NZ in-flight video with Bear Grylls, and it is almost a signature piece of classic New Zealand scenery.  The track along the tops was rolling and I was able to stretch out and find a steady pace as I went along.

The tarns, or mountain lakes, at the end of this section are special and a bit magical.  You almost imagine fairies or mythical creatures might inhabit this place.  Then, with relief, it’s the run down the hill to the forest.  Past the Routeburn Falls, you are running near the river along technical rocky parts before you reach the soft almost bouncy trail on the way to the finish.  



















I wanted to get inside 5 hours and the clock was ticking.  I worked hard and made the 32km in 4 hours 51 mins, almost an hour quicker than last year.  What a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment