Saturday, July 19, 2014

Cape Town: Table Mountain and Lion’s Head

“Will I be able to see much from the top?”.  “No” replied the receptionist at the B&B.  There was no doubt in her voice; years of answering that same question enabled her to give a confident answer.  It was quite a nice crisp day, but a layer of cloud enveloped the upper levels of the mountain.  It wasn’t going to lift.

Cape Town would have to be one of the most dramatic settings for a large urban centre that I have been in.  The wild ocean belts into the coastline and the inhabitants chose to build their community in the small terrace between the raging sea and the foot of the mountain.  It was my second trip to Cape Town, after a previous weekend spent touring the peninsula and enjoying the wineries of Stellenbosch.  But this time I bought my running gear.

I looked up at the massive hill looming above us.  I knew there was a cable car that carried visitors all the way up.  But apparently there was also a trail that would get me to the top: Platteklip Gorge.  I say apparently, because it just doesn’t seem possible when you examine Table Mountain from the city.  It almost appears to be vertical from half way up. 

The Platteklip trail begins just next to the cable car station (at about 360m).  I was staying up the top of Kloof Street and it was a short taxi ride to the cable car station.  The trail starts out at a reasonable gradient and eventually becomes quite steep, carving its way diagonally up the gorge that you can’t really see from the bottom.  In total, it’s about 3km with a vertical of about 700m.  For me it was a fast hike, rather than a run.  I was passed by a guy in VFF skipping from rock to rock up the trail.  Impressed, I left him to it and continued my grind up the switchbacks and steps.  Locals regard the Platteklip trail as a bit soft.  It has been climbed for centuries and is probably the most direct route to the top, but there are more challenging ways of doing it. 

According to a traveller in 1634:  Myself and 2 others went up by the great opening which the hill makes, being like a valley but wondrous steep, the rocks on each side upright like monstrous walls, from which there is a continual distilling water.” 
The temperature dropped as the mists surrounded the heights of the mountain at about 1060m.  There was a fair amount of water coming down the trail, which in the winter turns into a solid flow.  Arriving at the top and looking back to Cape Town, I couldn’t see a thing.  I went exploring and found some trails to follow in the hope of finding a break in the mist so I could capture a glimpse of what would have been a stunning outlook on a good day.  I wandered around, placing some rocks on the cairns, but after getting colder I decided to descend.  It was a great trip down, a lot of steps (1800 I understand) and a bit technical but easy enough to get a flow on. 

Others were taking on the Platteklip that day.  I came across a group attired in what seemed more appropriate for going out to dinner.  I noticed a guy’s leather soled lizard skin shoes and wondered how he was coping with the moist rocks on this fairly solid climb.  He may have been a local who had been doing the trail for years, showing his disdain for the ease of the route.

On reaching the bottom, I felt like I needed more and headed down the road back towards town to the track up to Lion’s Head.  Lion’s Head is lower than Table Mountain at 670m, but closer to town.  There’s some chain ladder work to get to the top, but when you reach the summit, it offers stunning and immediate views of the coastline, the city and Robben Island just out to sea. 


This was a great way to experience the drama of Cape Town’s setting.  A perfect way to end a day like that would have been to go down to the coast and have a swim, but I ran out of time.  The trail running community of this city are blessed with the resources available to them so close to town. 






No comments:

Post a Comment